Thursday, January 1, 2009

Israel and Innovation

When I went to Israel to study innovation, I found something interesting. Yes, there is a focus on education and learning that helps. I expected that. There was also a story telling tradition, as well as great diversity that brings different ideas together. I expected to find a sense of courage, or perhaps chutzpah, and I did. All of these elements push people to move into new areas and create new possibilities.

However it was the element of hope that pulled it all together. Hope was everywhere. There was art at Yad Vashem, the Holocaust museum. There were messages of hope at the Diaspora museum. Everywhere we went we heard people talking about the future in positive ways. We heard people talking about building for their children, or following their faith to heal the world.
It is this power of hope that ties all the other elements together.

No comments: